Monday, October 30, 2006

Recovery time

When people ask me how I am today, my answer has been 'trying to recover from the weekend'. In hearing that , the automatic thought is 'that mustve been a good weekend!'.

I'd like to say it was, however it really wasn't. The recovery I speak of is trying to regain the physical energy that I expended on the weekend working on the 'edifice of doom'. I speak of my house, that all encompassing money pit that plots against me and is working daily to suck my soul from my body for whatever nefarious purpose is lodged within it's devious psyche.

I will never finish........It wont let me.

The highlight of my weekend was working on the ceiling of the bathroom. If you haven't spent a weekend scraping stipple, mudding, sanding and mudding again in order to achieve flatvana (the euphoric mental state of enlightenment achieved when all around you is flat) I highly recommend it to all. I managed to achieve a minor degree of this happy state with my mudding, but only after punishing my body by holding my arms above my head and trying to ignore the burning feeling in my shoulders as I worked first the scraper, then the taping knife, then the sandpaper block, then the taping knife once again.

Now I'm crashing........

I'm back at work trying to plan for the week, only to realize that if I do this planning and get on with my week, it will only bring me back to the weekend which I realized just now with great sadness, I am coming to hate. I don't want the weekend. I relish Mondays. The days in between the renovation marathons that have become the norm. Give me the 10 hour workdays, the paper pushing, the mental problems and issues that arise from running a major pipeline. I'll happily work my fingers over the keys as I sit in my reclining office chair and sup on the fare of pipeline operators everywhere, namely donuts, caffeinated beverages and highly refined sugary products of various and delicious nature. Damn the weekend!!

I feel better now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like a man I was not long ago......and many men have been and are now.......it will pass......

Kris said...

Man that sucks. Having lived in Calgary and ran from it screaming, I feel your pain. I hpoe you get a pretty buck for your house...that is why you are renovating right?

K.

The Voice of Reason said...

The original plan was to renovate over time.... then I got a job offer up in Sherwood Park and suddenly was caught in the middle of a whole lot of projects. With the rising amount of debt poured into this place, the only way to recover will be to sell.

Unless the lottery boats comes in.... then I destroy the place just for therapeutic reasons.