Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!!

I never understood as a kid why they didnt make this a statutory holiday....

I have to run out at lunch and get some last minute candy because I've been lax. I expect that the shelves will be pretty bare. Ah well, hopefully my house wont get egged.

If there truly is karmic retribution I suppose that Im owed at least 10 years of egging in return for fun childhood memories. Not that I want it, but to everything there is a price...... everything. If you think you're getting away with something, just wait and the true cost will appear. If it doesnt..... then you're just not looking for it hard enough. I would say though that I'll happily bear the cost of some things.

The cost of being a parent is many many many many many many things. I wont go into them all suffice it to say that I am happy to pay them... maybe not at the time the costs occur, but in retrospect I wouldnt trade it for the world. And the benefits.... oh the benefits.... These holidays become fun again! I cant begin to express the joy I get from making my son happy. I love my wife, but I have never felt so attached to another human being as my child. I truly hurt when he hurts, I am sad when he is sad, but thankfully when he is happy my world lightens up and the travails of the world and this existance are put into a new light.

I spoil him I know, but how can I not? When I spoil him Im only spoiling myself. Someday I'll have to discipline him for his own good, but I finally know for real the saying that I heard my parents tell me as I was about to get spanked 'this is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you'. I surely didnt believe them at the time, but I do now.

Anyways, I wanted this to be a happy post, its a happy day! Despite the friggin snow and ice that permeates the ground here in Edmonton.

Have a good one!! (even if you have to pay for it later) ;)

No comments: