Thursday, November 02, 2006

Another Bout

Im heading back into the fray today. Im probably talking a little too much about renos but it pretty much dominates my life right now.

I find myself in automatic mode like Adam Sandler in click. I've been married over 4 years now and I still feel like I'm just trying to reach a goal thats beyond my reach and when I get there I'll be able to enjoy my time. At this exact moment, Im trying to get my house finished, then sold, then probably get another house up here in Sherwood Park in order to stay in the market. Im sure I'll have to renovate the new house, but hopefully it wont be as extensive or expensive as the one we're doing now, and the previous residents will have kept better care of it.

No matter what, I always know in the back of my mind that I've been blessed. I only have to look in the news to see that. The life I lead in Canada is pretty damn sheltered. There's a shifty undercurrent and if you're looking for evil, you can find it (sometimes it even finds you). On the whole though, I've done some traveling, seen how some of the rest of the world lives (pakistan, brazil, UK, US) and suddenly my own backyard seems pretty damn amazing... and sheltered. My concerns are mainly financial, my stesses are manageable, and now I have this cool blog to vent in.

So, the obvious stated, I'd like to cream whoever felt the need for excessive paperwork that proves every step of everything. Cover Your Ass is the battlecry of todays businesses. It's no wonder considering the litigious nature of our society. With lawyers and devils planting the ideas that suing is the answer to every injustice, everyone has to armor their backsides or get a better lawyer and prepare to fight. There are physical wars (eg.IRAQ) and there are wars that we fight everyday just to get by. We fight banks, insurance companies, our employers, and especially the government just to get a fair share. Most conflicts that we face everyday are unnecessary. Taking a defective product back to the store, asking a contractor to fix their mistake.... just a couple examples of how if you dont say anything you'll get screwed because it seems like a surprising number of people want to stick it to you just because. It wouldnt cost people much to treat everybody like they themselves would like to be treated (aka 'the golden rule') however the first reaction is to try and get away with something, get there first, take the last cookie, cut in line, hide the mistake/cover it up, pass the buck, blame someone else, run away.... then finger the person that they just wronged because they said something.

I was in a restaurant the other day and overheard the people at the next table talking about how a store made a mistake and gave them a free order of hardwood flooring. They didnt need the extra flooring but took it anyways. They didnt even know what they were going to do with it. Only that they got away with it for 'free'. They laughed about it. Kinda made me sick. It never occured to them to say they already got their order and the store just forgot about it.

Someone has to pay for it. Either the prices go up, someone gets fired, the store absorbs the loss .. whatever, someone will have to pay... it just wasnt them so why should they care.

I still care.

Im not saying I dont have my own issues and imperfections but I want to live in a place where people care about each other. They dont have to be sappy about it. I'd probably feel pretty damn uncomfortable with everyone telling me they loved me. Im just talking about respect. Respecting someone else and having them respect you. Is it too much to ask?

No answers here today, just a few questions. .................................................................................................................................................................. and hopefully a few jokes along the way. ;)

2 comments:

Alyson said...

How is the house coming? When are you guys back in town? Does kitkat have a chat too?

The Voice of Reason said...

kitkat doesnt have a chat yet. She is in Calgary all this week at her parents house. I'll be back on the weekend. She slips over to paint the house when she can.

The house, as ever, is going slow.