Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Price of Admission

I love television. I shouldnt, but I do. There's a lot of reasons why television is bad. It wastes time, you get lethargic and fat sitting on the couch, I could go on.

The current reasons for me watching are: Psych, CSI, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Smallville, Corner Gas, The Unit, Heroes, The Office, My Name is Earl, pretty much any game show, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, House and even though I dont like to admit it, Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. There's other reasons too, but those cover most of it. I need my two PVR's just to catch it all each week. If you dont have a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) then you arent experiencing efficient TV watching. Being able to pause, rewind, instant replay and record easily is essential.

With my renovations, I have to leave my PVR's for the weekend (starting Thursday the busiest TV night of the week), but come Monday, I get to check out the list and catch up on what I missed (sans commercials). It's great!! Especially after a 10 plus hour workday.

Im sure not everyone shares my joy of TV, but oh well, to each his own. The next evolution Im considering is HDTV.... a big one. I have Bell Express Vu Satellite and it's pretty good. To take the next step Im thinking will cost about $2k for the TV and maybe another grand for a basic surround sound system. Then there will be another $20 month added to my bill , plus the cost of the HD receivers to get the signal. It's quite a financial commitment! On the plus side, I get much joy from TV (and movies) and it's pretty much my major activity in the wintertime.

It's definately a luxury thing.... and my wife is actually on my side on this one. The only hurdle is the renovations......

1 comment:

Alyson said...

I miss PVR. I miss "How I met your Mother" and the early feeds from the east. Alas we are reduced to peasant vision in the basement.