Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dr Frankenstein

There's only one Frankenstein movie that I know of where the good Dr had a son, and that was a comedy. Was the Dr's motivation simply to create life? We all know how the birds and the bees work. Of course, it wouldnt have made such an interesting story if all he did was get laid. Maybe Mary Shelly came up with the story in a dispute with Percy in order to illustrate what man would have to go through in order to create life without women. Apparently our world would pretty much end in disaster. She won the argument so convincingly that he hooked her up with his publishers...

Many of life's problems are needlessly complicated by trying to create elaborate solutions when the simplest answer will do. Life of course wouldnt be half as interesting though if we all 'smartened up'. Or would it? Could it be that we simply find the wrong things interesting?

For example:
The equality movement has lobbied so hard to push women into the work force that I believe their message became not one of choice but of disdain for women who dont excel according to their standards. The image of the homemaker is such that it's hard for women who choose to raise their children to take pride in that fact. I've talked to women who've mentioned that they feel inadequate when faced with conversations with some old classmates who seem to have 'accomplished' way more than they. I admire anyone of any gender who has a master's, is a doctor, etc. I understand the effort involved and in most cases would find myself lacking if I aspired to their position and accomplishments. But how do we measure what is truly an accomplishment?

Having recently become a father myself, I see with new eyes. I suffer from no illusions that what I do in the workforce is more important. Far from it, what I do is purely financial. Do I get satisfaction in it? A little, but my joy is at home with my family. Lasting happiness. I truly did not understand before I experienced it. I also see the trials and hardship that my wife goes through in order to provide for the needs of our child. We tried the dual income, daycare route..... it was a disaster! Jacob wasnt the same, our marriage wasnt the same. The quest for more money was NOT worth it!

Now dont get me wrong, I like my toys, I like a lot of the stuff money can buy. I have a penchant for video games, sports, electronics, movies, good food, a nice house, etc and they all have to be earned. Before my marriage and parenthood, I looked at my status in the form of the things that I acquired. What car I drove, how big my TV was (size does count!), etc. I spent loads and thought I was doing pretty good. What a waste of time..... and effort! All the stuff I acquired became outdated, I had to repurchase, upgrade, replace pretty much everything! Over time all those things didnt mean a hell of a lot.

Now? Im trying to balance the need to provide, with my duty to raise my family, and be a good husband. I look at the little person developing before my eyes and and realize what's important. You dont have to be religious to recognize that. Though it helps me to understand my place in the world.

I cant fully recall how Frankenstein ended (the book that is), I seem to recall the Monster seeking the Dr's death in the arctic or something like that. I guess that he was seeking revenge for abandonment issues or something. If only the good doctor would've played with him more... maybe taught him how to ride a bike ('Go Frankie Jr! Go!') .... it probably wouldnt have ended that way.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

stuff and the accumulation of it doesn't mean anything. I was in Chinook mall tonight where a mother lost her 18 month old child. The child ran ahead into a toy store and just seemed to vanish in front of everyones eyes. It takes a split second to understand the value of our kids at that moment. She did find her kid but that was about 20 minutes later. My family is really the only thing that means anything to me...


Good to hear you say that too... Also I respect women who work... I also respect women who raise the children... Or the fathers... Putting kids in daycare is NOT the answer... That is not unless you want someone who makes $7 per hour guarding the life and protecting the well being of your child!