Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Wrong Lane

The wrong aisle, the slow checkout line, the 'faster' lane which immediately becomes slower, the 'greater' of two evils (though evil is a strong word.... 'quasi-evil' maybe?)

About a year ago I was faced with a choice between 2 stocks. They have similiar portfolios and actually have interest in a lot of the same properties. So I chose one. At the time it was actually valued more than the other stock.

Why is it that when faced with two choices and you have a 50-50 chance of coming out ahead, the coin seems to always land on the wrong side? It's only apparent in hindsight of course.

My stock is at about half it's value and the other stock? It's up.

Now I know there are probably times when I've come out ahead, but I can only seem to remember the choices where I've chosen wrongly. Now thankfully not too many of my choices have been life or death (that poor cat....) and for the most part I've gotten to where I want to go(for which WalMart thanks me for my patronage). I would have to say Im something of a Seinfeld where I pretty much break even. If I want to destroy my theory I could sit down and count my blessings, but as I said, I may get there eventually, but not in the timely manner that I wanted to. I've had to wait for everything. In a previous post I mentioned my concern with how fast I want to go.

I think the problem is the news. I hear about the boom in this province and can't but think that Im missing out somehow. People/friends/acquaintences/coworkers are leaving the company I work for in droves... DROVES! Where are they going I wonder? More importantly should I be heading there myself? How much money are they making? It's enough to drive one crazy!

I, originally, was talking about Murphy's Law in this post (where everything that can go wrong will go wrong), but it really doesnt does it? I hate the slow lane, but I have a car. I hate the slow checkout lane, but I have money to buy groceries (and other niceities). I hate having to drive down to Calgary to work on the house.... which I own.... Dammit! I've been blessed!

But it sure would be nice to win the lottery and fastpace things a little!

No comments: