Wednesday, November 15, 2006

One Step Forward....

Two Steps Back!

An old joke/proverb/question 'How do you eat an elephant?' answer 'One bite at a time' . I've got a new one 'What do you do when the elephant performs mitosis (go with it), splits into two or three more elephants (of larger size) and then flanks (military expression when your enemy splits up and attacks you from the side) you?' Answer............ RUN LIKE HELL!!! At least that would be the sane answer. My answer is apparently 'take a deep breath, loosen the ole pants, sharpen the knife, and take that next bite'. Assuming of course you like elephant meat...... which I do.

I've recently discovered some truths about myself. I have an addictive personality. No No its true! When reading a good book I can stay up all night (then pay for it in the morning). The same is true for playing a good video game, watching television, or eating great food. I could mention other things, but I think I've made my point. If I like something a lot, I will do it, generally at the expense of other things in my life.

The trick I am trying to achieve is balance. I have many responsibilities right now. Im a husband, father, employee, man, gamer, athelete, friend, and blogger (amongst other roles). I like these roles, though they are hard to balance. Some are fun and some are just necessary. Lately the renovator 'elephant' has stomped on me pretty hard, but it doesnt mean that I can stop my other roles until it's done with me. It's taken a considerable amount of willpower to try and force some balance and get the other roles back into play.

Each job I have has it's own list of tasks to perform and I must say that I've been falling somewhat behind due to the beating I've been taking. I've been making progress though. The hard part is taking that first step. When I stop and look at some of the tasks in their entirety it causes me to gasp and want to turtle (grasp head with hands and curl body into tight ball), but when I can just do that first step, then the next step comes a little easier. It doesnt matter if the steps multiply, change height, disappear.... whatever.

Im just looking for that next step.

1 comment:

Alyson said...

Maybe you should post pictures of your elephant so we (and you) can see the progress. Maybe you won't feel like your falling behind because you will be able to see how far you have come. Plus then I get to watch too.